Sunday, April 17, 2016

How to curl your dolls hair!!!

So remember Sarah??  Her hair was originally curly, and had been a frizzy mess for a long time.

 Last month I blogged about we got her hair brushed out finally.  It looked so much better and I was happy with it.  But then I saw a youtube video on how to 'curl' your dolls hair.  It works best on hair that was originally curly or wavy.

So we thought we'd give it a try.  You just get the hair wet, and wrap it around a pencil or something , and secure with bobby pins.  Let it sit for at least two days, then carefully take them out and WOW.... I wasn't expecting it too look like this. Now all the girls want to get there hair done.  She says if you want to do a doll that came with straight hair, then leave the curls in for 2 months...soooooo....ya I think we'll leave Katie's hair the way it is. 



Jessica is getting ready for her new do as well.

Pug Photo Bomb :D

Monday, April 11, 2016

Morning Glory Pouch.

As soon as I saw Blue Calla Patterns new Morning Glory pouch pattern, I was in love!!!!!  And the best part???? It's FREE!!!  Thanks Celine!  It goes with the Moonflower Tote, that I haven't made yet, but it's on my wishlist. 

The pattern is very well written.  Just make sure to read through it first.  She does a few things differently in this pattern.  Like putting the batting and heavy interfacing on the lining, instead of the outer shell....This through me for a minute when I was trying to figure it all out. 

The little puckers on the side are adorable but took a bit of tweaking to get them to line up perfectly, but it's doable.  Just go slow and pin, pin, pin.  Go get the pattern, and make one... Please post in the comments if you've made one, and share it with me. 

Blue Jay's Fan purse!!

I used the Morning Glory Pattern from Blue Calla Patterns, to make a cross body bag for my friend Jen.  Jen is officially the biggest Jay's fan ever!!!!!  I added on the straps to make it a cross body bag, it took a bit of fiddling with to make room for the hooks, since the pattern is made as a clutch or wristlet.  But it all worked out in the end.

The Jay's logo is a 'reverse applique'.  So the focal point is recessed behind the fabric.  The Blue Jays Logo was embroidered by my friend Heather at  Bolder Quilts.

I realized I didn't have any fabric that would go well with this.  All I had was this chevron, but I felt it was too busy for the I popped into The Sewing Cafe in Georgetown, and found a lovely Kona cotton in the exact shade of Navy Blue.  After that I went over and saw Gina at Arts and Crafts 4 You.  She had this red stripe Northcott fabric, and I loved it, it said 'baseball' to me.

I wasn't sure what to do for the top stitching.  I had thought of hand embroidering it...but then I found this stitch on my machine and though it's not the exact stitch they use on baseballs, it's pretty close and gives the right look.