Friday, November 1, 2019

Balsam Bag -- Bag on a Budget

Bag on a Budget

I think a lot of us started sewing to try and save money, or to customize items.  Like I mentioned in my previous post, patterns are like recipes, it's ok to tweak them do to budget concerns, time, what items you have on hand, and personal preference.  That being the case I decided to make an inexpensive bag for my daughter.  I LOVED the angled shape of this bag, and knew my daughter would love it too.  I found some fabric I've had for several years, and now I think she might need a matching pencil skirt, we'll see how that goes.
Dress is the Tide, also by Sofiona Desgins and available on their website.


This bag is quick sew, it's a nice simple design with only a few peices, so it was easy to keep the costs down.  This bag cost me less then $5.   Instead of using D-rings for the straps.  I just used these split key rings from the dollar store.




I used the rings in the tabs and sewed them on as per the instructions in the pattern.  I decided not to do an adjustable strap so we needed to establish our strap length.   I did this by simply using a measuring tape in place of the strap. I used clips on each side to hold it in place, and made allowance for the seams. 



























Then I just sewed them on to the rings like I did the tabs.  No need for extra hardware if you don't want to use it.






So now you have no excuse to not give this great pattern a try.  It's a great scrap buster in the smaller sizes.  Head on over to Sofiona Designs Fan Group, to see more examples and inspiration.  Click this link here to buy the pattern  Sofiona Designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment