Thursday, March 30, 2023

Fern Skirt and Tide Hack -- Sofiona Designs

This is one of my favorite photos I think I've ever taken.  

 

The colors, the feel, it's a whole mood.  The photo shoots at the end of a pattern test are my favorite part.  It means for one that I'm DONE and I have made something we both love. But the best part is just the one on one time I get to spend with my daughter.  We always have a lot of fun with the shoots, and I don't have to bribe her lollipops anymore. 


It's been an incredible way to document her journey from young girl to teen.  She has blossomed into a lovely young lady and I couldn't be more proud of her.  To see her have fun, and confidence in front of the camera makes me so grateful for these moments we have together. 

This Pattern is the Miss Fern skirt, by Sofiona DesignsToo see all the different options available with the Miss Fern Skirt please check out my follow up blog post.

Miss Fern Skirt Part 2 - Tester Round-up (Sofiona Designs)

 

I started doing pattern tests over 8 years ago.  What happens is a designer has a new pattern, they do a call out for testers, and you are given the pattern.  Once you have the pattern you need to do some proofreading (which I'm awful at), cut out your fabric, follow the directions and give them feed back on the written part of the pattern, as well as construction and fit.  I have learned SO much being involved in the behind the scenes aspect of PDF pattern development. 


My second reason for loving to do pattern tests is because it really pushes me to try new techniques and learn new skills.  For example this pattern was the FIRST TIME I have ever installed an invisible zipper.  I purposely looked for patterns without zippers.  But it wasn't hard at all once you knew what to do.  In other pattern tests over the years I have learned how to gather, shirring, facings, alterations, buttons, elastic, basically every skill I have has come from testing a variety of patterns for myself and my daughter. 

 

And now more about the pattern.  
This is a brand new pattern release from Sofiona Designs.

Miss Fern Skirt comes in 3 styles, short, midi, and maxi.  I went with the maxi because I have been so inspired by two amazing creators on YouTube and  Instagram.  
____________________________________________________

Marcy is an incredible seamstress and performer.  She makes incredible maxi tiered skirts and it's made me want to make them myself.  I finally got up the courage.  Marcy always goes for bold color and bold print, so I hope she'd approve of my choice here. 
https://www.instagram.com/marcyharriell/
AND 

I follow Becca on Instagram and I've seen her posts in sewing groups on fb for years. She is also homesteading so I absolutely love her content. She definitely gets the gardening with glamour award. She loves to sew and wear dresses and has greatly inspired me to try wovens. I just needed to get over my fear of zippers.
https://www.instagram.com/itssewbecca/____________________________________________________
I loved the skirt fabric but my daughter didn't have anything in wardrobe to go with it.   This dark green cotton lycra was all I had on hand and the colors really worked, my problem was it was an odd shaped remnant so a regular top wouldn't work.  I started looking online for a crop top so we could see the lovely waist ban I worked so hard on.

I was thinking I might need to end up using a crop top or something with smaller pieces, and I ran across the Tide Halter Dress/Top pattern in my collection.  Tide is also from Sofiona designs, it is in their kids sizing and goes from 2-16.  I lucked out when the size 16 bodice would still fit. The original Tide pattern has a bodice and then either a shirt length peplum or skirt.   All I did was add a 2" band around the bottom to finish off the hem.  
Tide was exactly what a I was looking for.  I wanted something fun and strappy for summer
I NEEDED something that I could use small odd shaped pieces for.  
 
 




The lovely green beaded necklace was a gift from her grandfather, and it went perfectly with the outfit.

Since the weather here is still cold, and muddy I decided this outfit needed some tropical surroundings.  So we went to the Greenhouse at Chinguacousy Park, in Brampton. 



Despite the cold temperatures and the fact that there was still ice on the deeper part of the wading pond/ice rink my daughter wanted to splash through the water.  So we took a ton of pictures outside as well.  It's so wonderful as a mom to see your child feel comfortable with themselves and to have fun being creative.  She loves the outfits I make for her, and the time we spend doing the photo shoots with her.  Without the pattern tests, and sewing I probably wouldn't have a fraction of the photos of her that I do.  I will treasure them always, and she will have a fun legacy to pass down as well. 


 
 
I hope you enjoyed this blog post. I hope to start blogging again and documenting my adventures in the sewing room, kitchen, and garden. 

And the 3rd reason I love pattern testing is the sense of community in the sewing world.  It`s always nice to chit chat with fellow seamstresses and troubleshoot things.
 
Too see all the different options available with the Miss Fern Skirt please check out my follow up blog post.  Miss Fern Skirt Part 2 - Tester Round-up (Sofiona Designs)
 
 Let me know in the comments below if you preferred the indoor or outdoor photos.  I can`t decide.  I know she had more fun outdoors. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. That's cute that she's wearing a necklace from her Grandpa. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He's gonna love to see it in the photos. I sent a few enlarged photos to them.

      Delete