Monday, March 27, 2023

Sydney's New Suit (George & Ginger, Patterns for Pirates Mash-Up)



 

I found this lovely plaid wool on sale at Fabricland, and knew I had to make something for my daughter.    It was difficult for me to put my ideas on paper and then find patterns for the outfit I had in my head.

 

YouTube Video of The Sydney Suit

 






As I knew I wanted to make some sort of suit, I thought the Downtown Coat from George & Ginger would be ideal for the jacket. (This is such a cute pattern, but unfortunately the pattern has been discontinued.)



Now to find the perfect skirt. After searching high and low, I could not find a pencil skirt with a flounce that didn't have a zipper.  I have
a book I have called Improv Sewing.






In the book there are instructions on how to draft your own woven skirt, using knit panels. This way I didn't have to add any closures. 

 PERFECT!!! 

I thought. 












So the Sydney Skirt, as I'm calling it, it is a mashup of the Pirate Pencil Skirt, the method in the book Improv Sewing, and an added flounce.  



Pirate Pencil Skirt is a free PDF pattern, from Pattern for Pirates.  I just used the size her measurements fit. 









To
make the flounce I cut off the bottom 8" of the below length skirt.  And then slit the fabric all along at 2" to create the flounce.  I followed this great tutorial on how to do it. How I create a flounce Pattern-- Sew Custom  I was pretty nervous since I'd never done anything like this before, but it all came together.  For the added fabric panels on the sides, I had to add 1.5" to each piece. I am so happy with how it turned out, my daughter loves it.


It all came together beautifully!!!! I am so pleased with this entire outfit.  It is definitely one of my more challenging outfits to date.

 
Finding a top to match is always tricky but thankfully my friend Heidi at Pollywoggles Patterns was doing a pattern test for some tops.  Enter Grasslands T-shirt.   Check out my next blog post for more info on the new release, but here's a sneak peak!!!


 
Just kidding ahhahaha
 
Grasslands t-shirt from Pollywoggles Patterns Blog post

We had a lot of fun taking some photos.   








No comments:

Post a Comment